Monday, March 17, 2008

Poor Tarzan. Last week it was fever and coughing. Today it's been throwing up and...you know, the other end...all day. He just had two Saltines. We'll see if they stay down. Cinderella flared up with the pinkeye today - I knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time.
We actually had a respite yesterday and went to the zoo - everybody was healthy, and it was "Won't You Be My Neighbor" Day, and kids were free. It was also 38 degrees - I've never seen the zoo less crowded! Many of the animals were "put away" for the winter, but we got to spend some really nice quality time with the lions, elephants and gorillas. No crowds, no pushing, no sunburns. Aside from Tarzan dropping his mittens in the toilet, it was a pretty pleasant outing. (And no, we didn't give them back to him, that's NOT why he's sick today)
I also got an email response from Pitt, responding to my inquiry if there was anything I could do to improve my portfolio for future auditions. It's actually very nice, I've quoted part of it below, but strangely, doesn't make me feel a whole lot better. A little, but not a lot.
Here it is:
"I want to tell you first of all that you auditioned/interviewed very well. You were a strong candidate on our list. Of particular note to us, was your teaching session. You did really well and D. and I both agreed that you would make a great candidate for the program. Your fundamental problem with this round of applicants is that we had so many really good people so we had to choose based on complicated criteria that we don't normally consider. Things like balancing what each student would bring to the department. Whether or not the acting skills were as strong with one candidate versus another.I would love to encourage you to apply again if your life circumstances warrant. I say that only based on the strength of this application but I cannot make any promises about how things might shake out. We remain convinced that you would be a great candidate and would love to have you with us.I don't know if that is helpful at all. I'm sorry this didn't work out. I'm sure it is very disappointing. But I hope you can be encouraged by the fact that you did so well."
So yay.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It sounds just like vet school. They have very few spots, and many, many well qualified applicants. So they start playing games picking people to 'round out' the class. There are too many that want to treat cats/dogs, so they'll have preference if you want to do large animals, or research. Or if you're male. Things that are not based on your merit. That means people often apply for 2 or 3 years to get it. Sometimes just applying more than once increases their opinion of you. That's a good thing. It means you don't suck! and keep trying!