Friday, January 25, 2008

Friends

There is a woman who's son goes to Cinderella's preschool. She and I have had several conversations, discovered some mutual interests, and shared some laughs. We've run into each other spontaneously in Starbucks, and at the mall (in the Disney store) while the kids were in school, and we've had coffee together twice now.
Now, I don't make friends easily. This is a fault in myself - I hold myself back and evaluate people from a distance for a long time before opening up the window to possible friendships. I'm not really sure why this is, but I've always been this way. I only had one close friend in high school, two in college. One since college. And of course, my husband, who is my best friend, although he aggravates me more than any of my female friends ever have. There are several people that I've wanted to be friends with, who have then moved away and ruined my chances. And there are some that I can strike up easy conversations with and totally enjoy being with them when I'm around them (hi, Linnie!), but don't get to be around them enough to cultivate a depth to the friendship. And then there's family - a different story altogether, for better or worse!
I don't mean to sound like a total misanthrope - I get along perfectly well with almost everyone I come in contact with, and I have lots of "friend-ish" relationships with people. But not many that I'd really call friends. Perhaps I'm too picky with my definitions.
Anyway, I like this woman. I'd even consider trying to become her friend. Now, watch her move to Nebraska, or something.

1 comment:

Linnie said...

Hi you, back! :-)